The International Trade Internship with the local Honolulu office of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s U.S. Commercial Service is an unpaid internship for college credit. This dynamic internship provides students with an opportunity to interact with real businesses in the community and work on real world trade issues.
The internship requires completion of at least 4 months with a minimum of 12 hours per week. We can be flexible in working around your school schedule. Openings are available on a rolling basis but usually coincide with the semester schedule. Interviews are usually conducted at our office but can be conducted over the phone.
The Honolulu office operates Monday – Friday.
Must be a U.S. Citizen. Position is an unpaid internship. Applicants must fulfill minimum hourly requirements. Must be enrolled at least part-time in a college or university.
Major Areas of Study
All Business Majors, Economics, Political Science, Public Administration, Law, International Studies and Relations, Marketing, Finance, Foreign Language, Communications, Sociology, Geography and History.
Daily Internship Activities
- Provide support to International Trade Specialists in outreach, market research, trade promotion, and international trade and policy development
- Meet with real companies to learn about their export challenges and counsel them on solutions and available resources
- Research and analysis on commercial markets in Asia, Europe, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East
- Collaboration with local Hawaii Pacific Export Council members in conducting export outreach and education training programs
- Opportunity to take part in trade development meetings with American and foreign government officials and executives in key industries
- Research on policy and regulatory issues impacting trade with global markets
- Update and management of export resources website
- Publishing of quarterly newsletter on international trade news
- Promotion of industry trade events and training programs
- Database management of key contacts
Internship Contact Information
If you would like to apply for the International Trade Internship, please send your resume and an introductory email to the contact info below. Please include the dates you are available for the internship.
Mr. John Holman
Director, Pacific Islands
U.S. Commercial Service
U.S. Department of Commerce
Email: [email protected]