The world is open for business… your business! Today it’s easier than ever for companies, regardless of size, to sell goods and services across the globe. Hawaii is an internationally recognized brand that helps make its products and services attractive to buyers throughout the world.
Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), Hawaii’s State Trade Expansion Program, known as HiSTEP, is a multifaceted program designed to assist Hawaii small businesses with their export development. The program is administered by DBEDT and partner organizations in Hawaii.
SBA started STEP in FY 2011 as a three-year pilot program with a goal to increase the number of small businesses that want to export as well as the value of exports for those small businesses that currently export. SBA awards matching-funds STEP grants to states on a competitive basis.
View the press release for the 2017 launch of HiSTEP.
Watch the following videos to learn more about the HiSTEP Program:
Success metrics for Hawaii-based companies using HiSTEP include, but are not limited to:
- Expanded exports
- Boosted revenue
- Active in more global markets
- Penetration of new markets
Companies must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the federal requirements of an ‘Eligible Small Business Concern’ (organized or incorporated and operating in the U.S., meet SBA small business size standards, one year in business, has access to sufficient resources to bear the costs associated with trade)
- Certify that your company is not barred from receiving federal funds
- Be registered in good standing with the State Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs’ Business Registration Division at vendors.ehawaii.gov
- Have a current general excise tax license with the State Department of Taxation
- Determine if your company meets the Eligibility Requirements
- Complete the online HiSTEP application
- Download and complete the SBA Self Representation Form and SBA Form 1624, then email both forms to Jamie.K.Lum@hawaii.gov
The Hawaii State Trade Expansion Program (HiSTEP) has three integrated components: